100,000 new displaced in Yemen since strikes began
08 April 2015, Nirapad News: More than a 100,000 people have fled their homes after Saudi-led coalition air strikes began in Yemen, according to UNICEF.
A spokesman from the UN agency, Rajat Madhok, told Al Jazeera that most of those who have been displaced are women and children.
“Most displacements have taken place from and within al-Dhale, Abyan, Amran, Saada, Hajja. The displaced persons are mostly being hosted with relatives,” Madhok said.
In a statement published on Tuesday, UNICEF, the UN agency that provides humanitarian assistance to children and mothers, said 74 children caught up in fighting had been killed and another 44 maimed since March 26.
“These are conservative figures and UNICEF believes that the total number of children killed is much higher,” the statement read.
The agency’s Yemen representative, Julien Harneis, said children were paying an ‘intolerable’ price, and said more needed to be done to protect them.
“These children should be immediately afforded special respect and protection by all parties to the conflict, in line with international humanitarian law,” Harneis said.