Update October 1, 2015

Dhaka 2-41 am, 21-September, 2020

464 Iran pilgrims dead in hajj stampede

Sumel Sarker

iran5

464 Iran pilgrims dead in hajj stampede

01 October 2015, Nirapad News: Iran has nearly doubled its death toll from last week’s Hajj stampede to 464,
saying there was no hope of finding pilgrims missing in the wake of the tragedy.

“Seven days after this tragic accident… the status of all (pilgrims) injured has been completely cleared and
reported,” Iran’s Hajj organisation said in a statement carried by state television on Thursday.

Around 240 Iranians were previously declared dead after last Thursday’s crush near Mecca, with more than 200
classified as missing, reports Al-Jazeera.

An Iranian Red Crescent official said on Thursday that those missing were all likely to have died.

“We are completely disappointed from finding unknown and missing Iranians,” said Ali Marashi, the head of Hajj
Red Crescent medical centre, state media reported.

Meanwhile, Saudi and Iranian health ministers have agreed after days of fierce debate to repatriate dead Iranian
pilgrims.

Iran’s IRNA news agency quoted Iranian Health Minister Hassan Hashemi as saying that he and his Saudi counterpart
Khaled al-Falih had struck a deal aimed at “speeding up the process, as the victims’ families are waiting” back
at home.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)