Afghan forces fight to retake key city
30 September 2015, Nirapad News: Afghan forces have been battling Taliban fighters to retake the city of Kunduz, a day after it fell to the insurgents in their biggest victory since their removal from power in 2001.
Heavy fighting has been reported, and President Ashraf Ghani said his forces had regained some government buildings.
Police said more than 80 militants had been killed, although there is no independent confirmation of this, reports BBC.
The Taliban overran Kunduz on Monday, forcing government troops to retreat.
US military planes were supporting the Afghan operation, striking Taliban positions on the outskirts of the city, a Nato spokesman said.
A Pentagon spokesman said the US had faith the Afghan military would recapture the city.
The Afghan health ministry said Kunduz hospitals had received 16 bodies, with almost 200 people injured.
Medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres? said its hospital in the city had been overwhelmed, with scores of patients suffering gunshot wounds.