Are you using the right foundation for your skin?
16 Septembar 2015, Nirapad News: A woman’s vanity box is empty without a foundation which acts as a base for makeup. However, since there are many varieties of foundations which are available in the market, that come in different formulations — cream, mousse or dry ones — you need to know the one that matches your skin tone and suits your skin texture the best.
Understand your skin
– Even complexion.
– The surface of the skin is neither too oily nor too dry.
– Lotion-based foundations are best-suited.
– The face will have an all over shine.
– Prone to pimple and can easily develop pigmentation near the cheeks.
– Water-based foundations are advised for those who have oily skin. They last longer and do not make the face look greasy.
– The face can feel dry and parched, at times.
– Cream-based liquid foundations are advisable.
– Compact-based foundations are a no-no.
Select one based on your skin tone
– A sheer foundation and a good concealer are musts for creating the illusion for a perfect skin.
– While applying foundation, your aim should be for a lighter coverage.
– Add a drop of water to the foundation to blend well.
– Dab compact after the foundation is applied. This will give the skin sheen and will not make it look too heavy.
– Avoid applying too much of compact powder. And dust off all the excess.
– Liquid foundation is the best one for women with a dusky complexion. Also, it is very important to keep in mind that the shade of the foundation should be very close to that of the skin tone, to avoid looking pale white.
– Choose a concealer and foundation which have yellow pigments.
– Earthy shades go very well with those who have wheatish complexion.
– Never use a foundation which has a pinkish tone, this will make your skin look grey.
– Apply a compact after the foundation to lend a smooth surface to your skin.
– Determine whether your fairness is rosy pink or yellowish.
– Select warmer tones for an even complexion.
– Here are more tips on how to choose the right foundation
Types of foundation
– Ideal for normal, combination and dry skin types. It is specially suited for women with uneven pigmentation, or those requiring a heavy coverage.
– Lends medium or full coverage.
– The best part about this foundation is that it lends a dewy finish.
– Covers and conceals discolourations and imperfections on the skin and provides a flawless finish.
– Is ideal for all skin types. It is well-suited for dry or mature skin.
– Lends a light to medium coverage.
– Has a satin, matte or dewy finish depending on the formulation.
– It soothes the skin and also lends an even coverage to your complexion.
Pressed powder foundation
– Is ideal for those who have oily skin.
– It lends a light to medium coverage.
– Has a matte-finish look.
– Evens out the skin tone, hides the imperfections and absorbs the excess oil.
– Should be applied with the help of a powder brush. The bristles should be dense.
– Ideal for all skin types, except oily. It is specially suited for those with sensitive skin or Rosacea.
– Lends a matte finish look.
– Has a light to medium coverage.
– Evens out the skin tone, moisturises, protects and absorbs the excess oil.
– Use a brush to buff it on.
Tinted moisturising foundation
– Ideal for normal and dry skin.
– It is well-suited for those who need extra hydration and just a touch of colour to pull it off.
– Lends a sheer to light coverage.
– Lightly evens out the skin tone, giving a nude or a natural look.
What you must keep in mind
Minimal application of foundation is not only good for your skin but it also does not make you look cakey. However, while choosing a foundation, make sure that you sample it under natural light. While trying out the foundation in a store, always apply it on your jawline and not on your wrists or hands to check for the seamless blend.