Update March 28, 2016

Dhaka 1-00 pm, 09-May, 2021

At least 70 dead after suicide attack in Lahore park (video)

Sumel Sarker

Pakistani women mourn the death of relatives after a bomb blast in Lahore on March 27, 2016. At least 25 people were killed and dozens injured when an explosion ripped through the parking lot of a crowded park where many minority Christians had gone to celebrate Easter Sunday in the Pakistani city Lahore, officials said. / AFP PHOTO / ARIF ALIARIF ALI/AFP/Getty Images

Pakistani women mourn the death of relatives after a bomb blast in Lahore on March 27, 2016.
At least 25 people were killed and dozens injured when an explosion ripped through the parking lot of a crowded park where many minority Christians had gone to celebrate Easter Sunday in the Pakistani city Lahore, officials said.

28 March 2016, Nirapad News: At least 70 people were killed in a suicide attack in Gulshan-i-Iqbal Park of Allama Iqbal Town on Sunday evening, rescue sources said. Hospital sources added that over 250 were injured.

The attack was claimed by the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan Jamaatul Ahrar.

Iqbal Town Superintendent Police Dr Muhammad Iqbal confirmed this was a suicide attack that took place at a children’s park, where a large number of families, especially women and children, were present.

The area is a renowned residential area of Lahore. The blast was just outside the exit gate and a few feet (metres) away from the children’s swings.

DCO Captain (Retd) Muhammad Usman said the head of the suicide bomber was recovered. Ball bearings were also found at the site.

lahore attackk67

A child is rushed from the blast site

Eye witnesses said there were pools of blood and scattered body parts spread across the site of the attack.

Witnesses said they could hear children screaming as people carried the injured in their arms, while frantic relatives searched for loved ones in nightmarish scenes at the park near the centre of the city.

“We took the injured to hospitals on rickshaws and taxis,” one eye witness said.

He added that the crowd was “unusually large” because of Easter.

“The roads were also jammed and queues of vehicles could be seen till Moon Market.”

lahore attack32

Frenzied scenes at hospitals

Frenzied scenes at hospitals
Doctors described frenzied scenes at hospitals, with staff treating casualties on floors and in corridors, as officials tweeted calls for blood donations.

Javed Ali, a 35-year-old who lives opposite the park, said the force of the blast had shattered his home’s windows.

“After ten minutes I went outside. There was human flesh on the walls of our house. People were crying, I could hear ambulances.”

Yousaf Masih, a father who was searching for his family, told AFP: “My kids came here (to the park). I was at home, I saw the news on TV, but my wife and children were here.”

lahore pak

At least 70 dead after suicide attack in Lahore park

‘No security’
Many eyewitnesses said there was no security present in and around the park.

An eye witness, talking to media , said:

“The park is huge and has many entrance gates. There were almost no security personnel present there.”

A Rescue 1122 spokesman confirmed that an emergency call was received at around 6:44pm and that over 20 ambulances had been sent to the site at the time. An emergency was declared at all government hospitals in the city.

The Punjab government has announced three days of mourning.

lahore attack

At least 70 dead after suicide attack in Lahore park

Gen Raheel chairs military huddle after blast
Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif chaired a high-level meeting late Sunday night, which was attended by heads of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Military Intelligence (MI) among other military officials, said Lt Gen Asim Bajwa on Twitter.

The army chief ordered concerned commanders and intelligence officials to immediately start operations to nab perpetrators of the attack, said Bajwa.

Gen Raheel said these “inhumane savages will not be allowed to overrun our life and liberty.”

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif also chaired a meeting at the PM House where he was briefed by his security advisers on the Lahore attack, said a statement released from his office.

Modi calls Nawaz, condemns Lahore attack
Indian premier Narendra Modi telephoned PM Nawaz after the Lahore blast that killed at least 70, and expressed his condolences.

Terming the attack as cowardly for targeting women and children, Modi underlined the need for ‘uncompromising efforts’ to fight terror.

Premier Nawaz Sharif condemned the blast and directed authorities to ensure “special medical care” to the injured.

“My children, brothers and sisters have been targeted in this attack,” Nawaz said in a statement.

***Suicide bomber kills 65, mostly women, children in Pakistan park

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)