Update August 18, 2015

Dhaka 6-14 pm, 01-March, 2021

Charge framing in Kibria murder case deferred till August 25

Sumel Sarker


Charge framing in Kibria murder case deferred till August 25

18 August 2015, Nirapad News: The Speedy Trial Tribunal on Tuesday again deferred till August 25 the charge framing in the Former Finance Minister SAMS Kibria murder case.

With this, the charge framing in the sensational case has been deferred for the seventh time.

Sylhet Speedy Trial Tribunal Judge Makbul Ahsan passed the order and asked suspended Sylhet City Corporation Mayor Ariful Haque Chowdhury to appear before the court on that day.

The tribunal also asked the jail authorities concerned to take necessary measures in this connection.

Thirteen accused, including former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar, were in the dock during the hearing, said Kishore Kumar Kar, the public prosecutor of the tribunal.

Suspended SCC Mayor Ariful Haque was not present at the court for his sickness.

Earlier on August 10, the tribunal fixed August 18 for charge framing in the murder case.

The Kibria murder case was transferred to the Speedy Trial Tribunal from Habiganj Chief Judicial Magistrate’s Court on June 11 for its quick disposal.

Five people, including Kibria, were killed and 70 others injured in a grenade attack on a public rally of local Awami League at Baidder Bazar in Sadar upazila on January 27, 2005.

Awami League leader Abdul Mazid Khan filed two cases — one for murder and another under the Explosives Substances Act — with the Habiganj Police Station the following day.

Assistant Superintendent of CID Munshi Atique submitted a chargesheet against 10 BNP leaders and activists on March 19, 2005.

On June 20, 2011, CID Senior Assistant Superintendent Rafiqul Islam submitted a supplementary chargesheet incorporating the names of 14 more people, including former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and Mufti Hannan, following a naraji (non-confidence) petition filed by the plaintiff.

Upon an appeal by the complainant, the High Court on May 5, 2006 stayed the proceedings of the cases.

Following another appeal by the complainant, the tribunal on May 14, 2006 ordered further investigation into the cases.

After further probe, Rafiqul submitted the first supplementary charge-sheet. However, Asma Kibria, wife of the slain minister, filed a petition with a local court expressing no-confidence in the investigation.

The court then forwarded the case documents along with the petition to the tribunal concerned.

Later on January 5, 2012, the tribunal ordered the CID to carry out further probe into the killing.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)