Couple burnt in Narayanganj
27 January 2015, Nirapad news: A man and his wife sustained burn injuries in a gas explosion in Fatullah of Sadar upazila on Tuesday. The victims are Abul Kalam, 35, a fish trader, and his wife Liza Begum, 22.
Witnesses said the explosion took place on the ground floor of a two-storey building near Fatullah Railway Station around 7:30 am, leaving the couple injured.
They were rushed to the burn unit at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Hanif Choukidar, a tenant of the house, said he heard a loud sound from the house of Abul Kalam and when he went to the spot he found the couple injured.
A fire also erupted from the explosion that burned down furniture in the room and a portion of a wall collapsed during the incident,
No explosive substance was found in the room. Police suspected that the explosion took place from gas leak, said Asaduzzaman, officer-in-charge of Fatullah Model Police Station.