Update September 5, 2020

Dhaka 10-58 pm, 26-September, 2020

Death toll from Narayanganj blast rises to 16

Mirajul Moin Joy

The death toll from the Narayanganj mosque blast rose to 16 Saturday afternoon.

Dr Samanta Lal Sen, coordinator of the Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute, confirmed the information, saying “a total of 16 injured people have so far lost their battle for life.”

The identities of the five fresh deceased are yet to be disclosed.

Those who died earlier at the hospital were identified as Md Delwar, 48, Muazzin of the mosque, Jewel, 7, Md Jamal, 40, Sabbir, 18, Jubayer, 18, Humayun Kabir, 70, Kuddus Bepari, 70, Md Ibrahim, 42, Mostafa Kamal, 34, Rifat, 18, and Junayet, 28.

Dr Samanta said 37 injured people were admitted to the hospital after the blasts of seven air conditioners at the mosque.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina directed the authorities concerned to ensure the best treatment for the patients who suffered burn injuries in the Narayanganj incident.

Some 40 people suffered burn injuries as all the air conditioners of the mosque exploded during Esha prayers in Fatullah, Narayanganj on Friday night. One of the injured died at night.

Locals said the incident took place around 8:45 pm at Baitus Salam Mosque when the devotees had just finished their prayers. An air conditioner went off and sparked a fire inside the mosque. Later, the remaining six ACs exploded there, leaving the 40 devotees injured.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)