Govt to submit ICT based facts over biometric writ
16 March 2016, Nirapad News: State Minister for Posts and Telecommunications Tarana Halim on Wednesday said ICT based facts and objective information would be submitted before the court over the case filed against the ongoing SIM verification using biometric system.
“Any case filed based on rumor and propaganda has no merit,” she said at a meeting with the Chief Executive Officers of cellular phone operators on SIM re-registration at her secretariat office.
On Mar 9, a petition was filed by lawyer S M Enamul Haque in the High Court (HC) challenging the move of re-registration using biometric system.
The HC on Monday asked the government to explain in a week the legality of biometric SIM re-registration, and has fixed March 24 for the next day to hear the matter.
Mentioning that the finger print is being collected in this process is not preserving anyhow, the state minister said: “a vested quarter who involves with illegal VoIP, toll connection and terrorist activities is carrying out the propaganda and rumor against verification system.”
“We will go before the court on time and present the objective and ICT based facts in favor of it . . . what we have done, it is only for the wellbeing of people,” she vowed. The state minister informed so far 40 per cent of the total SIM has been completed verification under the process.
Brig Gen Sultanuzzaman Md. Saleh Uddin, Director General of NID Wing, Election Commission, said the device has no option to preserve the finger prints. “The operators are only verifying the finger prints with the database of Election Commission (EC). There is no scope to collect data from the EC database.” Posts and Telecommunications Secretary Faizur Rahman Chowdhury, BTRC Director General Brig Gen Emdad ul Bari and CEOs of Grameenphone, Banglalink, Robi, Teletalk and Airtel were present at the meeting.