Update March 7, 2015

Dhaka 5-43 pm, 27-May, 2020

Manna on fresh 10-day remand in sedition case

Sumel Sarker

Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna

Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna

07 March 2015, Nirapad News: A Dhaka court has placed Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna on a fresh 10-day remand in a sedition case.

Metropolitan Magistrate Ataul Haque passed the order on Saturday afternoon, responding to the plea of the investigation officer of the case.

Earlier, the IO placed the accused before the court with the fresh remand plea after completion of his 10-day remand in another case filed his alleged involvement in inciting the army to grab power.

The sedition case was filed with Gulshan police station on March 4. BNP Vice-Chairman Sadeque Hossain Khoka has also been made an accused in the case.

A general diary was also filed with the police station, accusing the two politicians of conspiring against the state.

Earlier, the two politicians faced another case in connection with two leaked telephone conversations – one between Manna and an expatriate Bangladeshi while the other between Manna and former DCC mayor and BNP leader Sadeq Hossain Khoka.

The leaked telephone conversations have already triggered massive controversy in the social networking websites and both news and electronic media.

A GD numbered 1469 was filed with Gulshan Police on February 23, the FIR reads.

After the GD was filed, the investigation was handed over to Gulshan police station Sub-Inspector Sohel Rana who later filed the case accusing Manna and the expatriate Bangladeshi for plotting a conspiracy to bring down the government from power by instigating some current and ex-army officers.

Later, on February 24, Manna in different print and electronic media admitted to have had the conversations, the FIR reads.During conversation, Manna said that he is ready to talk with army officers to end the prevailing political crisis.

The unknown person offered Manna to arrange meetings between Manna and 12 out of 19 running officers with whom the caller had been in touch and Manna agreed, reads the case statement.

The unnamed person while calling on viber on February 22, any time before 11 pm, also told Manna that if needed, he would be able to arrange a meeting with the army chief and Manna would receive a call around 12 pm the next day.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)