Update February 9, 2015

Dhaka 9-49 pm, 27-September, 2020

Mohammad Hafeez ruled out of the 2015 World Cup

Sumel Sarker

Mohammad Hafeez

Mohammad Hafeez

09 February 2015, Nirapad News: Pakistan opener Mohammad Hafeez on Sunday was ruled out of the World Cup after suffering an ankle injury, in yet another blow to the team before the mega-event.

The 34-year-old suffered the injury during the second one day international against New Zealand in Napier last week and has been advised to take three weeks’ rest. “Hafeez has been ruled out of the World Cup and will return home with the first available flight and in his place Nasir Jamshed has been summoned,” a Pakistan Cricket Board spokesman told.

The latest injury is the fourth major blow for Pakistan before the 14-team World Cup which starts in Australia and Newzealand on February 14.

Pace man Umar Gul was not selected because of a knee injury in January, while another fast bowler Junaid Khan had to be withdrawn from the 15-man squad after he failed to recover from a leg injury.

Spinner Saeed Ajmal withdrew from the squad after he failed to correct his bowling action which was deemed illegal last September, although the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Saturday that he had been cleared after retesting.

Pakistan is expected to play their first match against India in Adelaide on February 15.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)