‘More tribunals to be formed, if necessary’
17 Septembar 2015, Nirapad News: Law minister Anisul Huq said the recently defunct International Crimes Tribunal-2 will be made functional and more tribunals to be formed if number of cases on allegations of crime against humanity is increased.
He said it while talking to reporters at secretariat in city on Thursday.
Government has decided to make defunct one of the tribunals as number of cases has decreased, the minster clarified.
One tribunal is able to conduct the trials of existing cases, the law minister added, ‘If necessary, then the number of the Tribunals will be extended to two or three’.
Anisul Huq further said the trial would continue as long as there are cases of wartime crimes.
Earlier on September 15, the government made one of two International Crimes Tribunals inactive, restructuring the tribunal to try the convicts who committed crimes against humanity during the country’s liberation war in 1971.
According to gazette notification issued by the law ministry, a single tribunal will hear the cases relating to the crimes against humanity and war crimes committed during the war.