Update November 30, 2015

Dhaka 10-21 pm, 19-September, 2020

Murder accused ex-SI flees custody

Sumel Sarker


Murder accused ex-SI flees custody

30 November 2015, Nirapad News:s A former sub-inspector, accused in a case filed in connection with the death of a trader in torture by police, fled from the custody at a court here on Sunday.

M Rezaul Karim, former SI of Kafrul Police Station, fled around 4:30pm while he along with two other accused in the case was being taken to Dhaka Central Jail from Metropolitan Session’s Judge Court of Dhaka, said SI Mufakkharul Islam, in-charge of the court custody.

Earlier in the day, the three accused — Rezaul Karim, another former SI of Kafrul Police Station M Nuruzzaman and police informant Babu alias Ratan alias Babu Miah — surrendered before the Special Judge Court-5 of Dr Mohammad Akteruzzaman.

The court framed charges against the accused and ordered sending them to jail rejecting their bail petitions.

However, Rezaul escaped before being taken to the prison van on the court premises.

The court also fixed January 19 next for the start of formal trial with the deposition of witnesses.

On February19, 2012, SI Nuruzzaman and Babu picked up businessman Faruk Hossain Kamal, who used to live in Kafrul in the city, from a shop to Kafrul Police Station saying that a case had been filed against him.

On that night, Faruk’s sister Parveen Haque went to the police station when his brother told her to give Tk 50,000 to SI Nuruzzaman and source Babu for his release.

The police officer had also threatened to kill Faruk if the demand went unheeded.

Faruk was produced before a court on February 21 seeking a five-day remand as his sister could not manage the money.

However, the court sent him to jail rejecting the remand petition as there were injuries marks in his body.

Faruk was admitted to the jail hospital on February 22 following the deterioration of his condition and later shifted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) on February 28 where he succumbed to his injuries.

Following the incident, Parveen Haque filed a case with Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Court against SI Rezaul Karim, SI Nuruzzaman and police source Babu.

The accused secured bail from the High Court until the submission of charge sheet.

On March 1, 2015, Inspector of Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Mazharul Haque submitted the charge sheet to the court against the trio.

Visitor's Comment: ( The authorities are in no condition responsible for any comments of the reader)