Russia violation of Turkish airspace ‘no accident’
6 October 2015, Nirapad News: Nato says Russia’s violation of Turkish airspace over the weekend “does not look like an accident”.
Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Russia had not provided “any real explanation” of the violation that had “lasted for a long time.”
Russia says a violation on Saturday lasted a few seconds and was due to poor weather. It says it is looking into claims of a second violation.
Russia launched an air campaign in Syria last Wednesday.
Turkey has twice summoned the Russian ambassador – once over the first violation, which occurred on Saturday, and once over a second violation that Turkey says took place on Sunday.
Mr Stoltenberg called the Russian violation “unacceptable” and said Nato was taking it “very seriously”.
Mr Stoltenberg said he could not confirm reports that a Russian war plane locked its radar onto Turkish jets.
He said Nato and Russia had military-to-military lines of communication open which had not been used, and that it would be natural to do so.
He also said there had been “a substantial military build-up” by Russia in Syria, including ground troops and naval capabilities.
Russia’s deployment was of “great concern”, he said, calling on Moscow to avoid further escalating tensions with Nato.
Russia says it is targeting Islamic State and other Islamists, but Nato and allied states have expressed concern that Russia is concentrating its attacks on groups opposed to President Bashar al-Assad.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has denied that civilians have been killed by Russian strikes in the past week, but evidence on the ground has indicated otherwise.