Saudi hajj disaster toll questioned
Published: September 30, 2015 4:56 pm
30 September 2015, Nirapad News: Officials from several countries have said that more than 1,000 people died in last week’s stampede near Mecca during the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
The last figure given by the Saudi authorities was 769.
However, a Nigerian official told the BBC that more than 1,000 bodies had been taken from the disaster site to morgues in the city of Jeddah.
Indian, Pakistani and Indonesian officials have also been quoted as saying they think more than 1,000 died.
A Nigerian Hajj official from Kano, Abba Yakubu, told the BBC’s Yusuf Ibrahim Yakasai that he had been to Jeddah, where the dead from Thursday’s crush are being processed.
Yakubu said that in total, 14 lorries loaded with bodies were brought to the city.
He added that so far 1,075 bodies had been offloaded from 10 lorries and taken into the morgues. Four lorries had yet to be dealt with, he said.
Several countries have been severely critical of the way the Saudi authorities have handled the accident’s aftermath, notably Saudi Arabia’s regional rival Iran, which lost at least 228 people in the disaster.