Seven killed in New York fire
22 March 2015, Nirapad News: Seven children were killed early in a Brooklyn house fire in New York that was apparently sparked by a hot plate meant to keep food warm over the Sabbath on Saturday.
New York’s fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said this which reports the CNN.
The four boys and three girls siblings ranging in age from 5 to 16 were in upstairs bedrooms when the unattended hot plate apparently malfunctioned in the kitchen starting a fire that swept up from the first floor shortly after midnight in Brooklyn’s south central Midwood section, he said.
The fire’s only survivors, the victims’ 45-year-old mother, Gayle Sassoon, and her 14-year-old daughter.
Both jumped from second-floor widows to escape and were being treated for burns and smoke inhalation, police said. The mother was in critical condition; the status of her daughter wasn’t known.
Investigators believe the family was trying to keep food warm with a ‘hot plate’ device in the kitchen as part of their observance of the Sabbath, Nigro said.