Socceroos will travel to Bangladesh: FFA
14 November 2015, Nirapad News: Football Federation Australia (FFA) are convinced the Socceroos’ safety can be guaranteed in crisis-hit Bangladesh and have given next week’s World Cup qualifier the green light.
Tuesday’s fixture in Dhaka has been under a heavy security cloud following recent terrorist attacks, including the killing of two foreign nationals for which Islamic State claimed responsibility, reports the sbs.com.au.
But FFA said extensive work on the ground from their own security team, as well as government intelligence and meetings with FIFA, had satisfied the organisation that the players would not be in danger.
Coach Ange Postecoglou and the squad will embark on a hit-and-run mission starting Saturday when they fly out of Sydney to Singapore, where they’ll stay and train before flying to Dhaka on Monday.
They will stay only one night, leaving on Tuesday evening straight after the game.
“Prudently, we are reducing the amount of time they’ll spend in Dhaka,” FFA chief executive David Gallop said after the announcement.
“We are minimising the time on the ground. We believe that’s a prudent response to the situation.
“A lot of work has gone into getting us comfortable … but we’re comfortable there’ll be a co-ordinated response to security.”
FFA had requested the match be shifted to a safer venue after the Australian cricket team cancelled its two-Test tour of Bangladesh last month.
But this was rejected by FIFA, despite the world governing body’s decision last week to move two of Palestine’s qualifiers against Saudi Arabia and Malaysia to neutral ground.
Gallop held a meeting with players in Canberra on Thursday night after their 3-0 defeat of Kyrgyzstan to discuss the plans.