Two British people ‘caught up’ in Tunisia attack
19 March 2015, Nirapad News: Two British people were “caught up” in a gun attack on Tunisia’s national museum that killed 17 foreign tourists, a spokesman for London’s foreign ministry said on Thursday.
The Foreign Office did not clarify whether the two British people had been hurt in the attack in the capital Tunis.
“We can confirm that two British nationals were caught up in the shootings in Tunis on Wednesday and that we are providing consular assistance,” the Foreign Office spokesman said.
“We are working with the Tunisian authorities as well as with contacts in the tourist industry to establish if any further British nationals have been affected.”
“Through our travel advice, we are urging people to exercise caution and follow the instructions of the local authorities.”
Prime Minister David Cameron has condemned the attack, writing on Twitter “Appalled by sickening terrorist attack in Tunis – my thoughts are with those affected. UK stands ready to support Tunisia.”
Differing statements about those killed and injured have emerged from different national authorities.
Three Italians and two Spaniards were among the dead, according to their governments.
Tunisia’s Prime Minister Habib Essid said that a French tourist had been killed, along with five Japanese, four Italians, two Colombians and one each from Australia, Poland and Spain.
A Tunisian bus driver and a Tunisian policeman were also killed when the gunmen stormed the National Bardo Museum.