UN may release ‘war criminal’ lists in Syria
21 February 2015, Nirapad News: United Nations investigators are considering revealing the names of an estimated 200 individuals suspected of committing war crimes in Syria.
The move would reverse a long-held policy of not naming alleged war criminals in the Syrian conflict.
Investigators said on Friday there had been an “exponential rise” in atrocities committed in Syria.
UN figures show that more than 220,000 people have been killed during Syria’s four-year civil conflict.
The investigators – from the UN’s Commission for Inquiry on Syria – said they had prepared five lists of names including “a variety of perpetrators from different groups.”
The Commission refused to say how many suspects were named, but diplomatic sources told a news agency there were approximately 200.
The Syrian government has carried out innumerable air strikes on rebel-held territory throughout the conflict, and has been accused by human rights organisations of killing thousands of innocent civilians in the process.
The UN’s High Commissioner for Refugees says more than nine million Syrians have been displaced as a result of continuing fighting.
Speaking after a briefing of the UN Security Council on Friday, a spokesperson for the Commission said that they were “weighing the pros and cons” of publishing the lists of suspects.