Woman dies after blanket catches fire in Joypurhat
01 February 2015, Nirapad News: An elderly woman was killed as her blanket reportedly caught fire from a burning biri at Aima Rasulpur village in Panchbibi upazila on Sunday night.
Achhiya Begum, 70, wife of Abdul Malek of the village, died inside her room, police and family members said. She was mentally ill and a chain smoker.
Officer-in charge of Panchbibi Police Station Ashraful Islam said Achhiya’s family members noticed a burning smell coming from her room around 10pm and it was too late to save her.
As the family members entered the room, they found her dead – some part of the body burnt — amid smokes emanating from the burnt out blanket and bed-sheet of her bed.
Referring to her smoking habit, family members assumed that the fire might have originated from a biri she smoked but was not stubbed out.